Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Orphan Petitions (I-600A, I-600)

For more information, please see the DHS-USCIS Adoption Handout (PDF 54KB).

U.S. citizens contemplating an international adoption should become familiar with the information provided on our website.  Information is also available on the Department of State website on International Adoptions.

If you are adopting from a Hague country, then you will have to file Form I-800 (PDF 285KB) or I-800A (PDF 397KB).

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa may accept applications and petition from applicants who reside within this office's jurisdiction, Honduras and Nicaragua.  In certain situations, the petition will be filed in another office.  Please contact USCIS, the Immigrant Visa issuing post, or the adoption agency for more information.


Supporting Documentation to Submit with Your Petition

Very Important: Do not send original documents with the petition!

  • Office translations: Any supporting documentation that you provide that is in a language other than English must be accompanied by a complete English translation.  The translation must be completed by an independent party.  The party providing the translation must note that his/her is competent to translate.
  • Proof of United States Citizenship: Photocopies of your biographical page from you're and your spouse's (if married) U.S. passports are sufficient.  You may also provide you're and your spouse's (if married) state issued birth certificate or naturalization certificate.  A hospital birth certificate or military ID card is not acceptable.
  • Marriage Certificate: Provide a marriage certificate issued by a public authority to show that a public record exists of the marriage between you and your spouse (if applicable).
  • Evidence of Termination of All Prior Marriage(s): Provide a death certificate, record of annulment, or divorce decree (absolute or final) issued by a public authority to show that a public record exists of the death or of the termination of all prior marriage(s) for both you and your spouse.
  • Record of Name Change: If either you or your spouse is using a name other than that shown on the relevant documents, you must provide legal documentation that effected the change; e.g. marriage certificate, adoption decree, court order or Deed Poll.
  • Fingerprint Cards (FD-258): Two (2) fingerprint cards are required of all adults (age 18 or over) residing in the household.  Please make an appointment to our Service.  If you are in the U.S. military, you may have your fingerprints taken at our Office too.  See also the Fingerprinting webpage.
  • Home Study: The Home Study should be submitted with the petition, however, if the Home Study is not submitted when the I-600A is filed, it must be submitted within one year of the filing of the advanced processing petition, or the petition will be denied. Some specific requirements on the Home Study:

- Copies: Only one copy of the Home Study is required.
- Age of Home Study: The Home Study, or the most recent update to the Home Study, must not be more than six months old at the time the Home Study is submitted.
- Checking Available Child Abuse Registries: These checks must come from both the United States and the parent's country of residence as appropriate, as most prospective adoptive parents have lived in both countries.
Home Study Preparer's Certification and Statement of Authority to Conduct Home Studies: The Home Study must include a statement in which the home study preparer certifies that he or she is licensed or otherwise authorized by the state of the orphan's proposed residence to research and prepare home studies.
- Review of the Home Study: If prospective parents reside abroad, an appropriate public or private adoption agency licensed, or otherwise authorized, by any State in the United States to place children for adoption, must review and favorably recommend the home study before it is submitted to the service.  The United States adoption agency must also provide a copy of their license.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.