Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Abandonment of LPR Status (I-407)

Filing the Application

If you wish to abandon your permanent residence and relinquish your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), please complete the Abandonment worksheet, Form I-407 (PDF - 601KB), Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status.

Abandonment worksheet (PDF - 603KB)

Print the Form I-407 (PDF - 601KB), complete it and bring it to the window.  If you are not able to access the form a copy of Form I-407 (PDF - 601KB) will be given to you at the window.  Ensure that you bring your valid passport.

A copy of the form will be given to you at the window for your records.  This copy of the completed I-407 (PDF - 601KB) is your receipt and it verifies the return of your Permanent Resident Card.  You should keep a copy of the completed I-407 (PDF - 601KB) in your passport whenever you travel to the United States.

Once the I-407 (PDF - 601KB) is completed, you will revert to your previous status as a non-resident of the U.S.  In order to visit the U.S., you will need to comply with visa requirements for nationals of Honduras.  Those going for purposes other than tourism or business will require nonimmigrant visas.

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time.  However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable.  An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status.  Therefore, one should give careful thought before abandoning lawful permanent resident status.

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.